Sunday, April 18, 2010

got shrooms?







April means that it's time for the Houston International Fest. This weekend and next weekend, tons of Texans will head downtown for music, food and libations, as we salute the Caribbean. In staying with the Ifest theme, I wore my "got shrooms?" shirt. It always makes for good conversation, and my METRO driver was the first to get a nice chuckle from reading it. Line 82 always has pleasant drivers who seem to enjoy the diversity of their clientale.



I got to Ifest around noon, and headed straight to the beer tent. Something about the sound of steel drums makes me thirsty. I think the beer tent workers had been doing a little quality control with the kegs before I arrived because they were way too happy to see me. Maybe beer just brings out the best in people. I then went shopping and stopped at a cool place called Just Pop It! Debbie and Dan from Kingwood sell these super wonderful bottle poppers with college mascots on them. What a great idea! I bought six of them since that's how many bottles are in a six pack...actually they make great gifts so I stocked up for my friends.



I then headed towards the Louisiana Stage since The Mark May Band featuring Miss Molly was going to play in a little while. Miss Molly brings back blissful memories of the early 90's and Party on the Plaza. Miss Molly used to wear a tiara and crack a huge bull whip over the audience as she sang. Good times, good times. I got sidetracked heading to prepare for Miss Molly, but ended up watching the MacGregor Elementary Steel Band. These kids were awesome. They were so good I had to get another beer. Once again, I was headed to the Louisiana Stage when Justin the King of Ifest grabbed me and told me I could win some shrooms if I made this hellacious putt. He tricked me! But I did get a fabulous conciliation prize of a bottle of Citracal. Now I'm a winner with strong bones!



While waiting on Miss Molly to begin, I talked to a nice lady named Glenda. She told me she was a METRO driver. She's my idol! I believe she said she drove the #20 line, so I will have to check out Miss Glenda's bus one day. As the music started, there was a man wearing a pirate hat with a fake parrot on his shoulder rollerskating to the beat. He was really good. I would have busted my ass several times attempting this guy's dance/skate moves. His name is Cliff, and you can see him rollerskating around Houston often along Westheimer. Who says Houston's not a green city??? FINALLY, the still marvelous Miss Molly was on stage. What a voice, but where's the tiara and whip? I guess she hung those up with the 90's. Miss Molly is still the best in my book. All that music made me thirsty again so I meandered back to the beer tent then off to shop on Bob Marley avenue. Those vendors really enjoyed my shirt which had more than a few beer stains on it by late afternoon. The Caribbean and shrooms make for a perfect Saturday in downtown Houston.


No comments:

Post a Comment