Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Streetcar Named Woo Pig Soooiiee






New city, same great characters. I went home to my birthplace, Little Rock, Arkansas, March 13th for spring break. My friend, Jan, and I decided to check out Diamond Bear Brewery at 3rd and Cross St. The #1 bus runs by it, but there's no bus stop close to Jan's house so we drove instead. The first thing I saw when we entered the brewery was a badger skin sitting on a table. Then a large, happy drunk man loudly proclaimed that it was his badger and he was Mark the Professional. Professional what I don't know, but I have my suspicions. He grabbed Jan with a huge badger hug and kept repeating 'badger, badger, badger'.The brewery tour hadn't even started and I had gotten my moneys worth (it was free). The tour and tastings were fabulous, and we were only reprimanded for bad behavior a couple of times. I highly recommend Diamond Bear Brewery if you are ever in Little Rock and want to experience the local color and flavor. Beware the Ides of March! My friends Kelly and Julie told me I should ride the streetcar in downtown to see the sights. What an excellent idea! So, on March 15th, I visited the LR Convention and Visitors Bureau kiosk in the River Market. There I talked to Charlie O the Transplanted Yankee. Charlie O was from Boston but moved to LR a few years ago. He was very friendly, and extremely helpful to this ex-Arkansan. Charlie had that great accent that I imagine confuses some tourists asking for directions in LR. Charlie O went over the streetcar info with me then sent me on my way. I hopped on the Green Line that makes a rectangle around downtown LR. My driver was Jerri L. the Steetcar Conductor. Jerri is a native Arkansan who has lived all over but has driven for Central Arkansas Transit for three years. She, too, was very friendly and helpful. A big thumbs up to the LR streetcars. Later I rode the Blue Line. It takes you over the creek to North Little Rock. Talked to some nice people from Des Moines, IA, who enjoyed the streetcars,also. Back at the River Market I had the pleasure of conversing with Dennis the Shoe Shine Man. Dennis is 60 years old and has been shining shoes all his life. He also makes his on jewelry. Dennis had great stories about shining shoes all over the world.He has never been a convict and has always worked hard to provide for his family and himself. Dennis had some great stories about some well known Arkansas politicians, but these can't be printed until all the old cronies are dead and buried. Little Rock is the place to go if you are looking for beautiful scenery, extraordinary people and fun public transportation.

No comments:

Post a Comment