Sunday, April 4, 2010

Houston is a Small City







Rode #82 downtown to Discovery Green on April 3rd for an Earth Day celebration. I thought Earth Day was always April 22nd, but knowing how Houston likes to be a trend-setter, I assumed we just wanted to get a jump on the rest of the USA. Only one rider was threatened by the bus driver to be tossed off if he didn't turn his music down. Now that I think about it, the bus driver looked a lot like Snoop Dogg. Knowing that Snoop Dogg worships plants that are grown naturally from the earth, I think he would make for one helluva fun bus driver on Earth Day.



Discovery Green was filled with earth loving Houstonians, and lots of organizations were there promoting clean/green living for our city. Of course, I had to stop and chat with my peeps at the Metro booth. They were so friendly until I suggested they hire more vegetation loving rap stars to commandeer their busses. Metro had no comment...



As I was leaving and walking to my bus stop, I saw a cool dude wobbling down the middle of the street talking to himself. It was 80 degrees and he was dressed for a heavy snowfall. He made it through the intersection unscathed, so hopefully I can find him next weekend for an interview.



Walking down Milam, I spotted a barefooted gentleman sitting amongst a dozen trash bags. His name is Raul, and he has lived in Houston for 14 years. I asked if the bags were his home, and Raul replied that they housed his winter wardrobe. He said that we might have another cold snap, so he was going to haul them around for another week then dump them. I wonder which bag his shoes were in??? Raul was quite adamant that Houston was a small city and that the biggest city ever was 4 hours east of here. It doesn't have a name, and Raul got a little agitated when I asked if he was talking about New Orleans. He began wildly gesticulating towards the east and proclaiming that HELL NO, it's 4 hours that way! When I asked if I could take his picture, Raul told me no ma'am because his shirt was dirty. He was then fixated on this utopian city 4 hours that way, so it wasn't long before I told him he'd best invest in a good pair of shoes if he was going to walk down the yellow brick road to the biggest city 4 hours that way. Bye Raul...send me a postcard!



No comments:

Post a Comment